Sunday 8 September 2013

Keeping busy

There seemed to be rather a lot of laundry, tidying, vacuuming and re-organising of bedrooms to do after our children went back to their home in Bahrain. It kept me busy, which helped with the empty feeling inside me and the quietness of the house. In a way, it was good to have our own space back again...

I have also kept at it with my sewing, although I haven't really had a heart for it. Some orders are coming in for Christmas, though, so I've got them done and I've finished the crocheted knee rug I wrote about in an earlier blog. It will go to our local church Victorian Christmas Fair. I'm so pleased that I've used up all the wool that was left over from knitting jumpers for my granddaughter. There's still some pale pink and white wool so I'll make a little baby blanket. The weather is decidedly autumnal and I won't mind working with wool in the evenings. Here is the finished knee rug:


Oops - I meant to rotate the photograph!

A lady in the choir I sing with asked me to make a bright bag for her and this one certainly is bright! She says people comment on it whenever she uses it - I'm not surprised!



I also had an order for some bunting for someone's birthday. It looks very pretty and the person who ordered it has asked for some more, this time in shades of purple. I ordered the fabric online this morning. I make the bunting the quick way: I sew the triangles together with the right sides on the outside and then use pinking shears to neaten the edges. They look pretty and it saves the time it takes to turn the triangles right side out and press the edges.


Christmas is in the air and some people are already thinking of stocking fillers. Despite the move to reusable shopping bags (one I support!!) there are still plastic bags around and a colleague asked me for two plastic bag holders.


The criss-cross coasters are proving popular and these are orders for Christmas stockings:


The care home where I work had a table top sale yesterday. I wasn't able to go but I made four shopping bags for them to sell and these little coasters. I bought strips of little horse pictures a long time ago and thought they would make useful little coasters. I hope there were some horse lovers out shopping!


I have been offered a table at a Craft Fair on 10 November, so I need to get some bags made. I have plenty of fabric and have got started. A very generous person gave me some wonderful offcuts of curtain fabric, which I'm looking forward to making up. If only I didn't have to work and then use up valuable sewing time by sleeping in the daytime!

6 comments:

  1. Oh busy lady! I absolutely adore the bunting you made in that photo and those coasters, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah. Someone called me 'The Bunting Queen' the other day. I've had orders for two more lots and I'm making some as a gift for our local community café. I've also bought some fabric with ballet dancers on it to make some for my granddaughter's birthday.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've been doing a lot of sewing. I love everything you've made.

    Virna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virna. I've done quite a bit more since then but just need to find the time to take photos and then blog.

      Thank you for your support!

      Delete
  3. ok so I've found you but have yet to work out how to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've got this far, Hayley! When I look at my blog, I don't know how to 'follow' me, either! :)

      Delete