Sunday 16 December 2012

A look back at 2012

This is the time of year when, traditionally, one looks back on the year that's flown past and picks out some highlights. As this blog is about life in general, as well as sewing in particular, I've looked at some photographs and thought I would share a few with you. Today is also our 45th wedding anniversary but I'm not going back that far! Looking forward, on the other hand, is rather scary: in five years' time it will be our Golden Wedding! Arghhh - I don't feel that old - yet!

We spent the first few months of 2012 looking forward to our trip to Italy with Sean, Allison, Emily and Alex, our son and his family from Durban, South Africa. We enjoyed a wonderful two weeks there, with special family times and experiences of Italian rural culture. Here is my favourite photograph of Emily and Alex taken there:


We then prepared for a visit from my sister-in-law, Pam, who lives in Johannesburg. She came to the UK for our great-niece's wedding in September. Ian was privileged to take part in the marriage ceremony of Meg Jenkins and Chris Matthews; it was also a grand family reunion for many of us. Here is a photo of Ian and me taken after the ceremony; his magnificent stole was hand-painted by Pam.


We brought Pam home with us and she spent about three weeks here. She had to fit in with our daily lives, which meant she had plenty of time to do needlework, read, meditate and do some art while I slept after doing night shift. We did manage to show her around our corner of East Yorkshire and here is a photo of Pam and Ian with the North Sea in the background.


Then came the shock when our son, Charles, daughter-in-law, Sharon, and lovely grandchildren, Tarryn and Angus, packed up home and moved to Bahrain at the end of October! We came here to be a support to them at the beginning of 2002; I didn't think that would include helping them pack up their home to move halfway across the world nearly eleven years later! I don't have photographs of all of them on this computer but here is one of Angus just before they left; he is now twelve but was nine months old when they came to the UK. He is now a handsome young fellow! The gorgeous Tarryn is rather camera shy, though.



Now we feel rather bereft and somewhat like aging orphans. But life goes on: Ian continues with his share of the ministry in the church in this Deanery of South Holderness and, of course, enjoys playing golf twice a week, weather permitting. I continue caring for elderly people where I work in the care home and then ... there's my sewing, need I say? So, to end, here is a photo of my table at the Craft Fair in St Andrew's in Paull.



I thank God for His continued grace and mercy shown to us, our good health, our home, family (even though they are far away) and friends. To whoever might read this, may you know God's love and peace this Christmas and His grace and mercy in the coming year. Thank you for taking time to look at my blog! XX

1 comment:

  1. I've read your blog a little after Christmas and we think about you so often. Continue your wonderful sewing and have patience! There is a plan for you somewhere out there! God bless.

    ReplyDelete