Saturday 18 August 2012

Pink flower wristlet

One of my colleagues has two sisters who both use walking sticks. They have found that small wristlet bags are ideal for use with a walking stick and I have made several for them, including two black and silver evening bags. Well, it's time for them to go on their summer holiday and I received a photo of a pair of cream and pink sandals with a request to make a cream bag with a pink flower on it.

I tried different flowers but decided on an applique flower as I thought it wouldn't catch on anything and, maybe, get pulled off the bag. I used cream 100% cotton for the outer bag and strap and pink 100% cotton for the flower petals. The inner circle of the flower is from a scrap of contrasting fabric I had. There is a matching flower on either side of the bag. I lined the bag with compact fleece (Vilene Thermolan) to give it body and squared off the bottom corners.




Do you see how convenient it is with a walking stick? It means the other hand is free to carry a tote bag or hold a grandchild's hand.

I was all ready to make a black and white wristlet but I don't have a white zip - so frustrating when the nearest shop where I can buy zips is in the centre of the city about 30 minutes away!

On the baking front: I went to visit my friend on Thursday and, as I walked into her house, her husband's hand appeared around the sitting room door. Fortunately, I had a packet of six scones to place in it! I had also left four at home for the Great Golfer to enjoy after his 18 holes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Margaret, that is such a cute wristlet! A wristlet is on my list of project to do. I'm currently making a pirate costume for a boy's 7th birthday party.

    Happy sewing and baking - it seems that you're baking quite a few delicious goods lately : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virna. I'm sure you'll do a great job when you make a wristlet.

      I am relieved that I don't have to make fancy dress costumes for children. There wasn't a demand for that type of thing when my sons were small - a long time ago as they are now 42 and 40!

      Best wishes,
      Margaret

      Delete